Saturday 11 - 1PM
During Saturday, Winestead Saint Germain will open its doors, welcoming in visitors and providing information on the church and its history.
ABOUT THIS CHURCH
This church stands isolated in a ring of trees, south of the village across the main east-west road. When it was built, it was near the Humber, but reclamation means it is now 5km or more. It has no tower, a nave, chancel, rebuilt south aisle and a south chapel now used as a vestry, with a compact, almost domestic, late medieval interior. Restored in 1889 by Temple Moore.
The north and south walls of the twelfth-century chancel remain and, of the nave, the north wall and part of the west walls are of the Romanesque period. These walls are 5ft thick, and of ‘late Norman or Transitional date’ according to the architect, Temple Moore. The corbels on the south wall of the chancel were found in the walls at the restoration, and their original positions cannot be known. There is a fine c15 chancel screen, c17 octagonal pulpit, c14 octagonal font bowl, c14 and c15 stained glass fragments and c18 chandeliers. There is also a brass lectern of 1890 designed by Sir Gilbert Scott.